Saturday, February 11, 2017

Surgery was successful, but with Chris there is always a "we'll have to wait and see" added on to the update. He truly is a medical mystery.
The surgeon made the smallest incision on Chris' abdomen that they say he's ever made to repair the hole in his bowel. He only had to remove 5cm, which leaves Chris with somewhere around 165cm. (You need 80 to survive on food and not IV nutrition). Chris will spend years trying to figure out how to live life with short gut syndrome. I'm told it's a process.

The surgeon said the bowel felt much stronger than before due to the trial steroids he has been on since August. As tough as they were on Chris, we're hearing they paid off! The next 14 days are critical, so he is not taking visitors at this time. We will let you know when he can.

The theme we haven't been able to ignore with this surgery are all the "differences" God has shown us. I believe He wants us to break out of the enemy's stronghold of the "same old thing". (C.S. Lewis "The Screwtape Letters"). What a miracle we have watched unfold over the last 48 hours. More about this later.

With that said, please say a prayer for me because I went home last night feverish/achey/chills and I put my faithful trusty second string in - my mom. It was hard to leave his side, but I couldn't subject him to whatever has taken me down.

He is well looked after by family and Emory. I have a peace he will be watched with the eyes of an eagle in my absence.

-JL

No comments:

Post a Comment